Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day Sixteen: A Song That Makes Me Cry

What is a song that makes me cry?
John Mayer's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room"

I would marry this song if I could, that's how serious I am about it. This is my favorite version of this song of all-time. I have about four versions on my iTunes, but this one trumps all. The first three chords that John plays at 0:53 are enough to tug at my heartstrings. The guitar riffs, the rawness in his voice, and the meaning behind the lyrics... *sigh*. "Slow Dancing" has gotten me through the toughest of tough times and I'm able to listen to this on repeat for hours upon hours.


Seeing John perform this very song is definitely on my bucket list. Once this happens, I will cry like a baby until my tear ducts are all dried up... and then die a happy camper.


It's not a silly little moment,
It's not the storm before the calm.
This is the deep and dying breath of
This love that we've been working on.

Can't seem to hold you like I want to
So I can feel you in my arms.
Nobody's gonna come and save you,
We pulled too many false alarms.

We're going down, and you can see it too.
We're going down, and you know that we're doomed.
My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room.

I was the one you always dreamed of,
You were the one I tried to draw.
How dare you say it's nothing to me?
Baby, you're the only light I ever saw.

I'll make the most of all the sadness,
You'll be a bitch because you can.
You try to hit me just to hurt me
So you leave me feeling dirty
Because you can't understand.

We're going down, and you can see it too.
We're going down, and you know that we're doomed.
My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Go cry about it - why don't you?

My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room,

Don't you think we oughta know by now?
Don't you think we shoulda learned somehow?

No comments:

Post a Comment