The last time the Backstreet Boys sung this to me, there were still five of them. However, this song became a lie in 2006 when my heart broke into pieces the day I found out Kevin Richardson was leaving the group. Kevin was the tallest guy in the group with the bushy eyebrows and baritone voice. He was never my favorite, but I still felt as though he was a member of my Backstreet family.
In my early years, I was -and still am- completely and utterly obsessed with the Backstreet Boys. My family friends who were 5-6 years older than me would always listen to BSB whenever I was over their houses, and they clearly influenced me to join the bandwagon. When I was 9, I would listen to the Millenium album on repeat, and once the Black and Blue album came out, I listened to that until the songs started to skip from overuse. In the summer of 2001, my mom surprised me with tickets to see them on their Black and Blue Tour (yes, the tour that got postponed due to AJ's drug rehab). The original date of the concert got pushed to September 10, 2001 (I know). It was my first concert and I had so much fun! We had awesome seats and I made a poster and everything. In the middle of the concert, they surprised us and showed up in the middle of the arena, instead of the stage, so they were even closer to where I was sitting. Of course, at 11 years old, I was positive that they made eye-contact with me at one point.
I wish I could embed this into the post but YouTube won't let me... click here for footage of a concert from their actual tour and feel like a young teenybopper again (side note: seeing mothers with their young babies in the audience made me laugh. My mom bought earplugs and had them in the whole time when she took us)...
... which leads me to this conclusion: you are never too old for a BSB concert. On Tuesday, June 8, I will be attending my second BSB concert in Boston! I am as giddy as I was 9 years ago and I don't care what anyone thinks of me. I'm going with one of those family friends mentioned above, who is now 24... Like I said, you can never be too old. Don't judge us :)
Tell me whyyy, ain't nothing but a heartbreak. Tell me whyyyy, ain't nothing but a mistake. Tell me why, I never wanna hear you sayyy, I want it that wayyy.....


No comments:
Post a Comment