"That night we talked about life, about our times together.
Maybe we weren't the same two kids we had once been.
But some things never change.
Some things last.
And even though I didn't know what was going to happen to us,
or where we were going...
I just knew I couldn't let [him] out of my life."
- Wonder Years
Maybe we weren't the same two kids we had once been.
But some things never change.
Some things last.
And even though I didn't know what was going to happen to us,
or where we were going...
I just knew I couldn't let [him] out of my life."
- Wonder Years
Today is one of my favorite days of the year. Nothing actually happens on this date, but the significance behind the date makes it oh so special for me. Around this time every year, I get to reassess everything and realize how lucky I have been.
Three years ago, my best friend and I were having a lot of complications in our relationship. We were never on the same page and we rarely talked. When we did talk, we would always fight and make up, only to have the same thing happen again the next month. After a few months of this frustrating never-ending cycle, we ended up having to take a "break" from each other. I know this sounds weird, because what kind of friends take breaks from each other? Well, we did, and we went almost a whole month of no communication. That month was a difficult time in my life; there wasn't anyone who I could really turn to, because the only person that I would turn to was the one who initiated this separation. I went on day after day, wondering when I was going to get my best friend back, and it was especially hard when we had some of the same classes together.
However, three years ago on this date, my best friend simply said "I'm sorry for everything", and those four words ended up changing my world around. After weeks of not talking, we finally teared down the walls that kept us apart for so long. We ended up talking for hours about our relationship. It was one of the most heartfelt conversations I have ever had with another person, and I turned out to be the first person my best friend has ever said "I love you" to and actually meant it.
"And it takes no time to fall in love,
But it takes you years to know what love is.
It takes some fears to make you trust.
It takes those tears to make it rust.
It takes the dust to have it polished.
Life is wonderful."
- Jason Mraz
But it takes you years to know what love is.
It takes some fears to make you trust.
It takes those tears to make it rust.
It takes the dust to have it polished.
Life is wonderful."
- Jason Mraz
Ever since then, we both have worked really hard to maintain the strong bond that we have together. Sure, we have fallen down the wrong path a couple of times after this but we never forgot about that conversation and that kept us together. That is why every February 22nd after that, I look back and think about all the wonderful memories that we have created since then. The big events included Disney World, concerts, and New York City, and the little moments made it what it's worth. Taking night trips to Dairy Queen, cheering on each other at our sporting events, random hang out sessions, sharing new music, school events, etc. But the one moment I hold most dear was being able to walk with my best friend at graduation. Having my best friend there with me at the biggest milestone of my life to date, after putting up with me through the past three years and sticking by all my decisions, regardless of whether they were good or bad, was so amazing.
"Well I'll never be something I'm not.
Please don't throw away what we've got.
'Cause we've been together for way too long,
I was playing around but I'm coming home.
You know that I love you.
There's no one above you.
I said it the last time, but this is the last time.
Don't make me over, 'cause I can be faithful.
You're my number one."
- John Legend
Please don't throw away what we've got.
'Cause we've been together for way too long,
I was playing around but I'm coming home.
You know that I love you.
There's no one above you.
I said it the last time, but this is the last time.
Don't make me over, 'cause I can be faithful.
You're my number one."
- John Legend
"At the end of the day, when it comes down to it,
No comments:
Post a Comment