So I'm sitting in the McKillop Library right now, which is probably one of my favorite places on campus. I really think I might live here for the next eight months or so. It is so quiet and so peaceful... well, just like a library should be.
I'm in the middle of my second week as a Salve freshman and it's going alright. I'm enjoying my classes, especially my Intro to the Justice Process class. My major is Administration of Justice, so of course I would like it. I think the law enforcement and all the laws are so interesting. There's also so much to learn too, so I think it will be a good semester. I just need to stop procrastinating and get my work done... I don't really know when that will happen though...
However, quite frankly, I'm homesick as ever. It's weird, because I wasn't home all summer, and now I decide to be homesick. It makes no sense to me, but nonetheless, I'm homesick. I miss my parents and I miss my brother. Today is my brother's sixteenth birthday and it kills me that I'm not home to celebrate it... (Happy birthday, Nam-Du! I love you!)
I miss my best friend too... Before I left, he gave me a letter and told me not to read it until I was all settled in my dorm room. Well, he doesn't know this, but I broke that rule and I read it before I went to sleep that night. The front of the letter has a big, yellow smiley face on it. This is an inside joke with us that dates back to 2004. I used to leave little notes in his locker when we were in junior high, and he would make me cards to give back to me. However, he isn't the most artistic person on the planet, so he would only draw smiley faces, which lead to smiley faces drawn on Paint. Every single year, I've received a card on my birthday with the exact same smiley face on it, and of course it always brings a smile to my face. His cards are always so intricate and thoughtful. On my seventeenth birthday, he included a picture of us in our "childhood". In reality, he had taken a picture of him when he was little and a picture of me when I was little and edited both onto a picture of a playground. On last year's card, he edited a picture of Jason Mraz -- half-naked, might I add -- saying happy birthday to me, because he had gotten me Jason Mraz tickets as a present. Anyway, this letter has to be the most heartfelt letter I have ever received. To put into words how thoughtful it was is quite impossible, but it does give me the sense of hope that I needed, to believe that our friendship will endure all the changes that have already come, and those that will come in the near future.
"There are 6,470,818,671 people in the world. Some are running scared. Some are coming home. Some tell lies to make it through the day, others are just now facing the truth. Some are evil men at war with good, and some are good struggling with evil. 6 billion people in the world, 6 billion souls, and sometimes, all you need is one." - One Tree Hill
No comments:
Post a Comment