I've spent the last six or seven years of my life with the best friends I could ever ask for. The problem is that they're all guys. Now, I've always been closer to guys than girls - I don't know if it's because I'm more easygoing than most girls or the fact that I can play Ultimate Frisbee better than most girls... - and I've never had a problem with that. In fact, I spent a lot of my high school weekends with my guy friends than my girl friends -- at first my mom was concerned, but then she realized that they were all way smarter than me and that I could end up marrying one of these guys My Best Friend's Wedding style.
The other day, I went out to lunch with two of my guy friends: Georgetown and Syracuse. I've known Georgetown since kindergarten and spent a good portion of my early elementary school days pining over him while he thought I had cooties. On the other hand, Syracuse and I became friends in sixth grade and the rest is history. They both have girlfriends and during our lunch, Syracuse said he asked me how much I usually spend on a haircut. I replied "No more than $40" (I keep my hair natural, so usually a wash, cut, & blowdry/straighten will do it) and he said that his girlfriend spends over $100 and he doesn't understand why. I thoroughly explained to him that girls usually get their hair cut and colored/highlighted on a trip to the salon and that I just happened to not be one of those girls. Then, Georgetown asked me if I ever get my "eyebrows done" (he clearly did not know what that meant) and I said no, I usually do it myself and it ends up fine. He then asked me what "getting my eyebrows done actually meant" and I explained it to him, and he said that his girlfriend usually gets hers done and he didn't understand why either. We then somehow began talking about our views on Valentine's Day and if Syracuse should visit his girlfriend at school, despite the fact that 1) it's on a Monday and 2) his girlfriend previously told him that he didn't have to. I gave him an answer and apologized for being biased (I personally am one of those who do not believe in Valentine's Day, sorry to all you hopeless romantics) and he said that he'd rather hear my opinion than anyone else.
After I got home, I reflected on that conversation and just chuckled to myself... but then I realized something: I have become that girl-friend, the one that all the guys turn to for advice on their own girlfriends. I suddenly became vulnerable and wondered if their girlfriends were jealous of me for being so close to their boys, but let's be real, that feeling only lasted about a second.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with being the girl-friend. I've been the girl-friend for seven years and I am perfectly content with my role in their lives. I just can't help but wonder... when is it going to be MY turn? I'm all about being patient and waiting for the right one to come, but when I see other people my age going through relationships like they go through cell phones to keep up with the latest one, I just wish that I could be them... even if it only seems like a moment.
Is that too much of an unreasonable request? I know I'm smart enough to know the answer to that question, I just don't want to face it.
thanks for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway hun!! :)
ReplyDelete