Thursday, April 12, 2012

Running for the "Thrill" of It

If you took one look at me, you would never guess that I would be a “runner”. Wait, let me rephrase that. You would never guess that I run in my spare time, as I don’t think I am even worthy of holding that title. Besides a handful of 5Ks and a four-year less-than-mediocre track career in high school, I run here and there, mostly to convince myself that I have some willpower in me to do what I don’t want to do, but should do.

I don’t have the endurance of a runner to go on for miles and miles and not feel like I’m going to keel over and die on the spot. After two miles, you will find me huffing and puffing along the side of the road, desperately wishing I had an inhaler even though I’m not asthmatic. I certainly don’t have the legs of a runner, besides my short legs and giant calves (whose idea was it to come up with this combination?).

If you asked me three years ago if I thought I would be capable of running over two miles in one run, I would’ve laughed in your face. In my four years of high school, I ran track, mostly because it was the only sport that didn’t cut people if they weren’t good… aka me. I was put into the sprinter category – one who runs 100m to 400m. 100m = one quarter of a lap of a track… which is just a straight line. Olympic athletes can run 100m in less than 10 seconds. I ran 14.9 AT MY BEST. I also ran the 200m but that was nothing worth mentioning either. In my senior year, we had no 400m runners and during time trials, I came in second after my teammate who definitely was staying at 100m, so I had no choice but to step up and run not just the 400m but the 4×400 relay also. My initial thought was “What? I have to run more than a lap more than what I’m usually used to? NO WAY IN HELL.” My second thought was, “Crap. Coach isn’t going to give me another option anyway.” Because I was the only 400m runner on my team, I had to practice with the guys. Fortunately, my crush at the time was a 400m runner so I got to practice with him. Unfortunately, running in 80 degree weather and trying to play catchup with the guys don’t really bring the best out in me, physically and psychologically. Maybe this is why we never dated. You try running 6 400m laps at 80%-90% effort… with guys who could probably lap you but didn’t out of courtesy… in 80 degree weather… on a Friday… after taking a 4-hour AP exam and see if you look good enough to be asked out on a date.

In college, I began to run little by little, mostly on the days when I felt incompetent and/or unproductive. I only ran when the temperature was mild outside and ran no more than 2 miles at most. This year, however, something inside of me sparked and I’ve become motivated to run longer to work up my endurance. From mid-January to today, I've ran a total of 107 miles, averaging about 2-3 runs a week. Yes, there were some weeks where I didn’t run at all. Sometimes because it was raining, sometimes because I was busy, and sometimes because I was too lazy. Yes, I know some people run 107 miles in the span of 2 weeks. I'm trying here, people.

I never knew how stress-relieving and motivating running could be. The only thoughts I ever had about running before this year were: “This is awful. I can’t believe anyone would ever do this for fun.” and “How much longer until practice is over?” However, I realized that it was possible for running to have some positive side effects on me. Every time I go out for a run, I push myself to run just a little bit longer than I did the day before. I love seeing my iPhone track where I’m running and seeing the mileage slowly, but surely, increase. Now, every time I go for a run, I always make sure the GPS says I’ve gone at least 3 miles before I decide to stop.

I had mentioned that one of my few resolutions for 2012 is to run at least 400 miles by December 21 – since we’re all going to die anyway. I think it’s a reasonable and attainable goal and can be beneficial to my life. After all, running helps me stay healthy and fit. It keeps me energized and on top of my game. It gives me self-control and willpower. AND it can help me lose weight. Now who doesn’t want that?

Dear April, May, and June… I challenge you to this resolution. I can’t promise that it will be all rainbows and sunshine every day. I also can’t promise you that I will run every day because that definitely will not happen, but I will definitely see you on June 30th with another 100 miles under my belt, halfway done with my resolution.

BRING. IT. ON.

Plus, I read an article that long-distance running can actually make my calves slimmer. It’s a win-win solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment