I was flipping through the channel guide earlier tonight when I came across this Hallmark movie on CBS. I took one glance at the plot and turned it on right away.
Beyond the Blackboard was an inspirational, moving true story about Stacey Bess, a young teacher right out of college, who placed her prejudices and fears aside to establish a classroom at a homeless shelter in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Through the trials and tribulations of caring for her family, her students, and herself simultaneously, Stacey Bess defied the odds of being an unexperienced, brand-new teacher and guided these once helpless children down the right path to a positive future.
As much as I wanted to be a teacher when I was deciding what I wanted to study in college, my head and heart led me elsewhere. Regardless, I strongly believe that there is a "teacher" in me that wants to come out from time to time and after watching this movie, I definitely felt that "teacher" in me start to emerge to the surface. To see how much of an impact that Stacey Bess made on these children only strengthened my desire to have the same impression on others in my future.
No comments:
Post a Comment