Well that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one...
But anyway, today has been a great day. The president of my school attended our SGA meeting tonight and we got to hear her concerns and visions for the new year. She really is a wonderful lady who wants nothing more than to make the students at my school happy. She is so open to new ideas and I especially love how approachable she is. She definitely makes Salve a better place to be at.
Tonight, I learned that our vice president, who has become like an older brother to me, came in first place at some sort of competition at UConn over the weekend, winning over students from Harvard University and Yale University. He presented his research project on the effect of pesticides on human beings and became the first undergraduate student to come in first place. Once I find out the proper name of the event, I will post it. Regardless, this is such a wonderful achievement, especially for him, and I am just beaming about how lucky I am to know such an intelligent person! I definitely admire him in so many ways and this just adds to it.
To add on to that, the other older brother that I never had (and our president) has his final interview for Teach For America tomorrow morning. Teach for America is a non-profit organization that allows recent college graduates to teach in low-income areas of America for two years (if I was an education major, this would be right up my alley. Luckily, I'm still able to experience this kind of work in my own major). He made it through the first interview round with no problems and had a phone interview for his second round. Tomorrow, he will be meeting with the people from Teach for America and will present to them a five-minute lesson plan, among other things. If there are two interviewers, then it means that twelve people made it to the final round. However, if there is only one interviewer, then it means that only six people made it. To be one out of twelve, never mind six, is a great accomplishment, and I am also so so proud of him. Please cross your fingers for my friend and pray that gets the job! It definitely is his calling in life and I can't think of anyone else who would be perfect for this position.
I just feel like such a proud little sister right now and I'm so happy for them. These two are exactly the type of person that I aim to be. They are such an inspiration to me as I see how their hard work and dedication has helped them reach one step closer to achieving their dreams. I hope that one day, I will be able to do the same. :)
Boy, it certainly is a good day for the Salve community.
No comments:
Post a Comment