Monday, August 24, 2009

"Someday I'll be so damn much more, 'cause I'm bigger than my body gives me credit for" - John Mayer

So... after a night of reading various blogs and discussing blogging with a friend, I've decided to start my own blog. Now, I don't believe my life is "blog-worthy" in any way, but I'm hoping that this will be something that I can do when I am stressed out of my mind during school. It'll also be pretty funny to look back on a couple of years from now...

First, let's talk about the title of my blog: Live Righteously, Taking It Easy. Taken from the lyrics of "Live High", the sixth track off of Jason Mraz's latest album "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things". There's no question that I am a big fan of Jason Mraz (obsessed, even), and there is just something about this song that instantly makes me feel better. It's so carefree and chill and I believe Jason is sending out the right message. "Live high, live mighty, live righteously, takin' it easy".

The word 'righteously' has two definitions: "1) acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin 2) (slang) genuine, excellent" (Merriam-Webster). Although I am a girl with good morals and I live my life by my morals, I don't plan on being this permanent "Ms. Goody Two Shoes". I want to break free from that connotation. I live my life how I want to live it. I take it one day at a time. I'm living my life righteously. Excellently. Genuinely.

In two weeks, my life will be changing... for the better, I think. In two weeks, I'll be moving to my new home for the next four (five?) years in Newport, RI. I will be a freshman at Salve Regina University. No doubt, this will be a little difficult for me, considering Salve was not my first, second, or even third choice. But I'm learning to make the most of what I have. I honestly am grateful that this school has been so considerate and generous to my family and me. Therefore, all complaints about Salve will end today.

I'm excited to move into my dorm and meet my roommates. I'm excited to meet new people, try new things, and as cliche as it sounds, learn more about who I really am. However, there's one thing that I am very worried about. As a recent high school graduate, I can safely say that I had the best high school experience a student could have. In simpler terms, I was a "big deal". I was the class president and secretary for the National Honor Society. I was part of many extracurricular activities. I had close relationships with my teachers and administrators. I literally could go anywhere in the school and I wouldn't be questioned. But now, I'm starting fresh, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to live up to the same expectations that everyone had for me while I was still in high school. A lot of people have faith that I'm going to succeed in college... but to what level? The leader in me wants to rise to the top, but in a school of two thousand students, instead of a measly six hundred, I don't know how that's going to be possible...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment